Ivy update

Here's the latest on my firstborn: 2 weeks ago Ivy began throwing up every day and it lasted for 6 days. Yes, luckily she has plenty of meat on her bones to handle it, but still, 6 days? After about 3 days I noticed some swelling in her hands and feet, then hives on her hands, feet, and cheeks. I took her to the doctor who said, after finding me an exact match in her big book of rashes, that it was either a food allergy or a parasite. She wanted me to take out (one at a time) the most common allergy foods like milk, eggs, fish, wheat...and try to see if any one of these made a difference. I voted for it to be a parasite, though, since I don't (didn't) 100% believe in allergies. I know, allergies are obviously real. I'm just talking about doctors and parents who are quick to diagnose any and everything and then have excuses the rest of their lives or medication to make them "normal," okay? So I requested that we get some real answers, and get them much faster than changing her diet every week and seeing what happens. It turns out, there is no parasite (darn!) and yes, my child is severely allergic to: egg whites, soybeans, peanuts, and wheat. I felt like, how severe are these allergies if I have been giving her all these foods for so long and she's been fine, and then I gave her strawberries. Wow, her poor cheeks bubbled with hives not even 5 minutes after giving her strawberries yesterday. It was by far the worst reaction I'd seen yet, and I knew this was more serious that I thought. So we go back to the doctor today to get loads of more tests, info, and our new friend, the EPI(?) pen (and I'll learn how to spell it too) . Luckily Ivy has a very broad palate, but I live on wheat products, so now I have to be especially sneaky or change my diet too...Oh well, other than worrying all day every day about her, things can always be worse and I'm fully aware of that. I'm ALWAYS greatful for my many, many blessings and that I have such wonderful, healthy babies.

5 comments:

Tami Casper said...

Praying you'll get this all figured out and that sweet little Ivy will be feeling better soon.

Amy Beatty said...

I can't believe how bad that is!!! I feel so bad for all of you. I think it might just be safest to get rid of everything that could make her sick. Its going to be so much work. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. I love you Jess and your sweeties!

Sunny said...

poor little ivy. that sounds awful. i hope you can figure everything out soon.

Carrie said...

:(

Kimberly said...

I am so flabbergasted on the whole thing. I feel for you Jess! I am there for ya and hope that you are going ok with this huge life change.